- Community & Economic Development
- Affordable Housing Resources
Affordable Housing Resources
San Mateo County Department of Housing
The County Department of Housing (DOH) is the primary source of information for affordable housing and services in the county. Below are useful links to access county housing information and resources:
- Find rental housing. SMCHousingSearch.org is a resource to help you find a home in San Mateo County that fits your needs and budget. Property owners and managers throughout the county can post apartments or homes for rent any time.
- Check out our List of Affordable Housing Rental Projects (PDF) in San Mateo County with descriptions and contact information. Each affordable housing development may have its own waiting list and the waiting list may be closed. Contact each affordable housing development to find out its availability.
Affordable Housing Resource Guide
The Housing Resource Guide provides information about organizations that provide housing services in San Mateo County, including: finding permanent housing and emergency housing, and resolving landlord tenant issues.
The Department of Housing publishes countywide Income and Rent limits adjusted by household size on an annual basis. The income limits are established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the State of California. In order to qualify for affordable housing, your household must not exceed the income limit that corresponds to the family size (number of residents) of your household.
Affordable Housing in San Bruno
The City does not own or manage the leasing of any housing, including at the Crossing. Please be aware that the affordable units are in great demand, and there is likely to be waiting list for the units.
Two developments at The Crossing provide most of the below market rate housing in the City. The Crossing includes a total of 1,063 housing units in five residential buildings, including 325 affordable units.
- AvalonBay Apartments - The AvalonBay apartments has a total 97 below market rate units, affordable to households with incomes up to 50% of the San Mateo County Median Income adjusted for family size. Please call the leasing office at 650-589-9100 to find out whether you qualify and how to apply.
- Village Senior Apartments - The 228-unit Village Senior apartments is restricted to persons aged 55 years and older. The units are one- and two- bedroom and rents are affordable to households with incomes up to 60% (187 units), 50% (12 units) and 30% (29 units) of the San Mateo County Median Income. Please call the leasing office at 650-588-8036 to find out whether you qualify and how to apply.
AB 987 Affordable Housing Database
AB 987 required each Redevelopment Agency to post a database of affordable housing units assisted with the former Redevelopment Agency's Low-Moderate Income Housing Fund on its website. Please be aware that this is only a record of affordable housing that has been assisted with Low and Moderate Income Housing Funds; it is not a listing of currently available housing.
Affordable Housing Database for the Former San Bruno RDA (PDF)